Village of Thurston

Council Meeting Minutes

October 12, 2006

 

Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm by Mayor Mary Barber.  Pledge of Allegiance was recited. 

 

Roll call:          Robert Ortman – Present

Warren Simpson – Present

Ed Vanek – Present

Vickie Carroll - Present

Steve Reedy – Present

Laura Clark – Present

Mary Barber – Present

Aaron Reedy – Present

 

Mary asked if any visitors wished to speak.  No one did.

 

Ed made a motion to approve the September 2006.  Steve second.  All yea.

 

Robert made a motion to approve the September 2006 financial statement.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

Steve made a motion to waive payment to Council for the June 13, 2006 and July 19, 2006 special meetings.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

Report from Fire Chief – Jim Hite submitted his report - see attached.  Jim said there were no complaints from the fire hydrant flushing last month.  However, the water pressure was too low.  Jimmy Barber discussed the specs on a new tanker they were considering purchasing.  It’s a 2006 International WynnFire Water Tanker.  It costs about $120,000. 

 

Jim Hite presented the 2007 Fire Department Budget.  Council discussed.  Ed made a motion to approve the 2007 Fire Department Budget as edited ($139,660.50).  Steve second.  All yea.

 

Steve made the motion to have the legislation prepared to purchase the new tanker, pending approval from the Walnut Township Trustees.  Also, put $70,000 towards the purchase of the tanker.  Laura second.  All yea.

 

Aaron asked about a check written to the Firefighter’s Association that hasn’t been cashed since May.  Jim said the check was just found and they will be depositing.

 

Report from the Service Committee:  Robert said they met October 4th.  Laura, Robert, and Michelle were present.  There were no visitors.  He said 2 downspouts on the back of the municipal building need repaired.  Bob Black will get estimates.  Robert said on Maple St. there is a catch basin that the flow of water is missing.  It’s on Max Mount’s property next to  Murphy’s.  It is a new one just put in on the last project.  Lowell Hite said the area needs graded.  Robert said it needs to be looked at. 

 

Report from the Safety Committee:  Ed said they met October 2nd.   Steve, Robert, Vickie and Ed were present.  They discussed a nuisance at 2300 Wilson Ave regarding tires and a refrigerator being out in the lawn.  They instructed Aaron to write a nuisance letter.  The letter went out October 3rd giving them 10 days to clean up.  Steve said the renter has taken appropriate action so far, but is not completely done. 

 

Report from the Finance Committee:  Didn’t meet

 

Report from the Rules Committee:  Didn’t meet. 

 

Report from the Regional Planning Representative:  Robert said nothing that concerned the Village

 

Old Business –  Ed asked if there was any news on the tornado sirens.  Michelle Shumaker and Jim Hite have been working on the project.  They are still waiting on cost information from the county EMA.  Cost should be around $4,000.  The siren should last between 15 – 20 years.

 

Ed made a motion to send $3,500 to Fairfield County EMA now so we can get dibs on a siren.  Robert second.  All yea.  Council discussed that this would be replacing the current siren.  There would probably be more cost later for poles and other accessories.

 

Mary brought up the issue of the unpaid portion of the Whitey’s bill for the furnace.  Mary called Whitey and he said that Bob Black gave the okay to do the additional work.  Steve made a motion to pay the additional money, and it should be taken out of the account that is used by Bob Black to make improvements to the municipal building.  Robert second.  All yea, with Ed voting no.

 

Ed made the comment that there should never be any changes to plans unless it comes from Council.

 

New Business  - Ed made a motion to into Executive Session to discuss the contract from the GGC Engineers.  Steve second.  All yea.  The time is 8:35 p.m.  At 8:40 p.m. Ed made the motion to come out of Executive Session.  Steve second.  All yea.

 

Council took a 25 minute break.

 

Steve made a motion to have the Solicitor prepare legislation to enter into a contract with GGC Engineers to provide engineering services.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

During break, Aaron passed out e-mails just received regarding the price and availability of the tornado sirens.  Council decided to put the new siren in the center of town, at the First Street building. 

 

Ed made a motion to go into Executive Session to discuss the water contract with Walnut Creek Sewer District.  Steve second.  All yea.  The time is 9:10 p.m.  At 9:50 p.m., Steve made a motion to come out of Executive Session.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

Steve made a motion to adjourn.  Laura second.  All yea.  The time is 9:51 p.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

_______________________________

Aaron L. Reedy, Clerk