Village of Thurston

Council Meeting Minutes

August 12, 2004

 

Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Barber.  Pledge of Allegiance was recited. 

 

Roll call:          Robert Ortman – Present

Roger Aubery – Present

Warren Simpson – Present

Ed Vanek - Present

Kevin Ety – Present

Rita Leiendecker - Present

Mary Barber – Present

Aaron Reedy – Present

 

John Pickens (8261 High St.) was present.  He said he counted 72 speeders in front of his house in one day.  He said something needs to be done about the speeders.  Mary referred it to the Safety Committee.

 

Julie Thomas (2903 Main St.) was present regarding the nuisance issue at her property.  She said she addressed the odor issue as stated in the letter, and would like Council to dismiss the fees that have been fined her.  A few said there are other issues she needs to address on her property.  However, the nuisance letter did not specifically state those issues.  Council decided to table the issue until the odor situation can be verified. 

 

Julie Thomas complained about what she considers a nuisance at the Tom Rager property – there is a problem with exhaust from their vehicles – when they constantly rev the engines, the fumes and smell are overwhelming.  They do this for long periods of time.  Council will check into the situation.

 

Julie said there is also a nuisance with a dead tree on the Canter property – black ants have eaten it out and it’s rotten – and smells bad.  Council will check on that.

 

Roger made a motion to approve the July 2004 minutes.  Kevin second.  All yea.

 

Kevin made a motion to approve the July 17, 2004 special meeting minutes.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

Warren made a motion to approve the July 22, 2004 special meeting minutes.  Rita second.  All yea.

 

Robert made a motion to approve the July 2004 financial statement.  Ed second.  All yea.

 

Diane Derringer was present from ME Companies.  She needed the mayor’s signature for the Third St. Storm Sewer Project.  She also gave the status of both projects.  Hoping to start in October.

 

Roger made a motion to waive the three-reading rule and declare an emergency for Resolution # 2004-18, A Resolution Authorizing the Transfer of Funds and the declaration of an emergency.  Rita second.  All yeah.

 

Warren made the motion to adopt Resolution # 2004-18, A Resolution Authorizing the Transfer of Funds and the declaration of an emergency.  Roger second.  All yeah.

 

Report from Fire Chief - Mike Jackson was present.  He asked Aaron to have legislation prepared to increase the EMS line-item appropriation by $1000 due to a donation from the estate of Dale Hedges.

 

He said his is working on Standard Operating Guidelines for the Fire Department.  He feels a Sexual Harassment Policy should be adopted by the Council.  Mike had given a copy of the Millersport Guidelines for Village Employees to the Safety Committee to act as a guideline for Thurston’s policy.

 

Ed asked about the EMS reporting status.  Mike is assigning that duty to Danny Schultz, but he hasn’t seen Danny yet.  Mike said he and a couple other people will help Danny get the data caught up.

 

Aaron asked about the status of the light pole repair.  Mike said he hadn’t had time to do that yet, but will get on it.

 

Aaron told Mike that he wanted a copy of the invoice he sends to Richland and Millersport Fire Departments for the EMT classes that Thurston was billed for.  Mike said he will get them for him.

 

Report from the Service Committee:  Robert said they discussed the first street building, but not much else.

 

Report from the Safety Committee:  Rita said they discussed some of the issues raised in the last two special meetings.  She said Mike is working on procedures for the fire department.  She said a log book is now in place for the station cruiser.  She said that they were going to start testing for officer’s positions on the fire department.  They discussed required service time when the Village pays for education.  Discussed volunteers who are out of the area coming down and spending time during the day. 

 

Rita said they also discussed having a property maintenance and better livestock ordinance.

 

Report from the Finance Committee:  Didn’t meet.

 

Report from the Rules Committee:  Didn’t meet. 

 

Report from Board of Public Affairs President:  Lowell Hite wasn’t present.

 

Report from the Walnut Creek Sewer District Board appointees:  No one was present.

 

Report from the Regional Planning Representative:  Robert said he has a list of projects for 2004 that are getting funding.  Several of them have curbs and sidewalks.  We should look into applying for funds for those purposes.

 

Old Business

Roger made a motion to approve the property transfer from Owen Keller to Chris Whightsel as proposed.  Rita second.  All yea.  Council agreed this was simply for the transfer, not for any specific use. 

 

Storm sewer basin repairs – Mary said they should be starting next week.

 

Drainage issue @ 8192 High St. – Ed will inspect to make sure it is no longer draining outside.

 

 

 

New Business

 

Aaron shared forms he got from Fairfield County Auditor & Ohio Municipal League regarding Local Government Funds being cut.  He will fill out the forms and return.

 

Council discussed tree service quotes received.  Council decided to table the issue.  Kevin will follow up with another quote.

 

Aaron went over the letters regarding the high-grass issues at Third & High.

 

Council discussed the latest sewer backup.  It occurred due to the pumps not working in the pump house.  Aaron said Lowell was going to bring it up at the Walnut Creek Sewer District – this is a major issue.  Aaron said Lowell mentioned in the meeting that he had called his son, Doug, early that day it happened so Doug could put a plug in a pipe so the sewer wouldn’t back up into his house.  However, no one else along that street was notified.  Some on Council felt this was neglect of duty on Lowell’s part because he is on the Board of Public Affairs, and the Walnut Creek Sewer District board, however no one besides his son was warned of the sewer backup issue.

 

Aaron brought up the issue with Kelly Taber, with the broken water pipe.  The meter reading was high, so the readers went back to confirm it.  It was right.  Then Lowell went out to confirm it.  It was still correct.  It was decided that she must have a leak.  However, the members of the BOPA were upset that WCSD did not alert Taber of her leak until she got her next bill, which was several days later.  If she were notified right away, she could have done something about it sooner.  Some on Council felt it was neglectful for Lowell not to inform the account-holder since he knew about the issue the same time WCSD did.

 

Mary asked Council how they felt about making Main Street a “No Parking” zone along the street.  Several opinions were shared, for and against.

 

Roger made a motion to adjourn.  Kevin second.  All yea. 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

 

_______________________________

Aaron L. Reedy, Clerk