Village of Thurston

Council Meeting Minutes

September 12, 2002

 

 

Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Hite.  Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

 

Roll call:  Robert Ortman – Present; Nona Buskirk – Present; Mary Barber – Present; Roger Aubery – Present; Warren Simpson – Present; JT Hilliard – Present; Jo-Ann Hite – Present; Aaron Reedy – Present.

 

Other residents present:  Lowell Hite, Terry Prather, Rita Leindecker, Josh Friesner, Mike Jackson, Jamie Carroll, and Larry Anders.

 

Mary made a motion to approve the August 2002 minutes.  Nona second.  All yea.

 

Robert made a motion to approve the August 14, 2002 special meeting minutes.  Roger second.  All yea.

 

Mary made a motion to approve the August 2002 financial statement.  Nona second.  All yea.

 

JoAnn asked Rita if she would like to speak.  Rita said that the storm sewer drain in front of her driveway is clogged up.  Debris lays in it, and it smells bad.  She also asked if we were getting the recycling bin back.  JoAnn said we weren’t.  Rita asked about curfew – kids are running up and down the railroad track at 2 and 3 in the morning.  Can anything be done?  Nona said she’s warned the kids.  JoAnn said she’d mention to the Sheriff when he comes out next month.

 

Rita asked about the drain.  JT said they tried to clear it, but doesn’t stay cleared.  Lowell said it needs a bigger outlet.  Josh said he believes there is crushed tile under the road causing the blockage.  Josh suggested having someone come in with a camera snake and monitor to check it out.  JoAnn said we could try to do something.

 

JoAnn asked Chief Mike Jackson if he had anything.  Mike gave JoAnn a copy of the current roster for the fire department; a copy of everyone’s physicals (all but 5 – will get ASAP); and schooling records for everyone, including their level of training.  Mike said the physicals are strictly confidential.  JoAnn agreed.

 

Mike said they hadn’t done very many pools this year.  He will get a check up to us.

 

Mike said none of the volunteers have been sworn in because they’ve never done it before.  He said they will whenever JoAnn wants to do it.

 

Mike announced that the Firefighter’s Association is going to do a $1 donation drive probably on Saturday, October 19th.  They will go door-to-door for Fire & EMS Association.  The Association will buy equipment with it.

 

Mary asked about the meeting they had at the firehouse a few months ago regarding tornados.  Mike said they are still compiling the information.

 

JoAnn said she got a complaint; a station wagon with lights come down High St. at a high rate of speed.  Mike said it wasn’t anyone on the Thurston department.

 

Mike said that they’ve purchased a vacuum cleaner, tables, dryers, carbon monoxide detector, and a power washer.  He’s heard rumors that he’s spending too much money, but it’s not true.

 

Mike said the second engine is out of service, the old grass truck is at the old station, and the old squad is out behind the firehouse.  JoAnn said she did not say anything about the vehicles.  Mike said he knows that; that it was somebody else.

 

Mike said it takes a lot of money to keep vehicles going.  He doesn’t want to spend too much on older vehicles; it is not a high priority to get them back in service.  He is trying to use their money wisely.

 

Mike said they are now training on Wednesday nights so they can train with Millersport.  The two departments are getting along fantastic.

 

Mike said he is implementing a Knox Box program in his area.

 

Mike said he’s like to flush the hydrants.  JoAnn said to get it in the paper.  He might do it October 26th.  JoAnn said to post a notice in the post office, too.

 

Mike said that on Saturday and Sunday, all our trucks would be in Millersport for vehicle training.  Pump testing will be done at that time, too.

 

Mike said if anyone has any questions, always feel free to call and ask him.

 

Josh said he’d get a roster of the Junior Firefighters.  He said the kids are allowed to go on runs. They are never allowed in the medic.  They are going through another CPR class.  If we have any problems with the kids, please let Josh or Mike know.

 

Mike said on the 28th and 29th, there will be a countywide hazardous material incident.  Semi tankers, cars, trucks will all simulate a freeway incident.  The public is invited.  The department will be graded.  The Engine & Rescue will be out of service during that time.

 

Nona told Mike that Trick-or-Treat would be on October 31st this year from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., giving them plenty of time to get ready.

 

Terry Prather and Larry Anders were present to discuss the Long Street issue.  JT said he tried contacting the county engineer, but hasn’t heard back from him.  He will keep trying.  He’ll also contact the Village Solicitor.

 

Terry expressed displeasure that Council voted to pay Heiberger before the job was done.  He said they didn’t come out to do anything.  He said he’s been inconvenienced about getting in/out of his driveway and driving down the road.

 

JT said we didn’t want to put approach ramps on the driveways because we may be doing something with new tile.  JT said we can site and bitch all night, but we need to get the drainage and streets fixed.

 

Terry said the road is too high.  He wants to know how long this is going to take.  Larry said it took a long time to get water away from in front of his house, and now we’ve just messed it all up.  Discussion ensued.  Several suggestions were made as to what to do.  Aaron said we should get an engineer in to see what should be done.  Then we can get costs on their ideas.  No need to continue messing things up.

 

Terry asked if Owen Keller had permission to put a sign on Village property.  JoAnn said no.  Terry said he did, and Terry might cut it down with a chainsaw.  Terry said the street didn’t need widened.  Terry said Joel said he was going to do something, and he didn’t do it.  We shouldn’t have paid them.

 

Larry said the Village dropped the ball.  JoAnn said we shouldn’t have voted on who does the job until we had more information.  She said it will never happen again as long as she’s mayor.

 

Roger said we should get an engineer in here to see what can be done.  JT said he feels we should talk to Owen Keller and the Village Solicitor about getting Owen’s part of Long Street dedicated to the Village.

 

Roger made a motion to initiate communication with an engineer in order to evaluate the situation on Long Street.  Mary second.  JT said he would like to be part of the survey with the engineer.  Discussion ensued.  JoAnn called for a roll-call vote:  Robert – Yes, Nona – Yes, Mary – Yes, Roger – Yes, Warren – Yes, JT – Yes.

 

Mary said she could ask Boivin Hoshor to come for free to look at the situation.  JT will continue to attempt to contact the county engineer and Village Solicitor.  JT apologized to Larry and Terry for the inconvenience.  Roger asked if they needed any gravel.  They said they did not.

 

JT left the meeting at 8:25 p.m.

 

JoAnn said two streetlights have been repaired.

 

Robert moved to adopt Resolution # 2002-09-12-2, Resolution Accepting the Amounts and Rates as Determined by the Fairfield County Budget Commission and Authorizing the Necessary Tax Levies and Certifying Them to the County Auditor.  Roger second.  Roll-call vote: Robert – Yes, Nona – Yes, Mary – Yes, Roger – Yes, Warren – Yes, JT – Absent.

 

Robert moved to adopt Resolution # 2002-09-12-1, A Resolution Authorizing the Transfer of Funds and the Declaration of an Emergency.  Warren second.  All yea.

 

Warren moved to adopt Ordinance # 2002-09-12-1, An Ordinance to Amend the 2002 Appropriations Ordinance and the Declaration of an Emergency.  Roger second.  All yea.

 

On August 30, 2002, JoAnn noticed that our sign for the deaf child on Long Street is gone.  Nona and Mary think it should be replaced.

 

JoAnn said that Bob Black replaced an upstairs window and paid for it on behalf of the Thurston High Heritage Association.

 

Roger said there are holes in Main Street.  Leitnaker was supposed to come and fix it.  Roger said he has a water leak in front of his property.  Lowell said they are working on it.

 

Aaron asked if the October Council meeting should be held in the larger room opposite the current Council room.  We are expecting a larger crowd similar to August since the Sheriff will be coming back.  Everyone agreed that we should.

 

Since there was no other business to address, Nona made a motion to pay bills and adjourn.  Warren second.  All yea. 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

_______________________________

Aaron L. Reedy, Clerk