Village of Thurston

Council Meeting Minutes

May 9, 2002

 

 

Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Hite.  Pledge was recited.

 

Roll call:  Robert Ortman – Present; Nona Buskirk – Present; Mary Barber – Present; Roger Aubery – Present; Warren Simpson – Present; JT Hilliard – Present; Jo-Ann Hite – Present; Aaron Reedy – Present.

 

No one was present representing the fire department.

 

Robert made a motion to approve the April 2002 minutes with a correction.  JT second.  All yea.

 

Mary made a motion to approve the April 2002 financial statement.  JT second.  All yea.

 

Mary moved to adopt Ordinance # 2002-05-09-2, an Ordinance to Establish an Investment Depository Policy for the Village of Thurston and the Declaration of an Emergency.  Nona second.  All yea.

 

Mary moved to adopt Resolution # 2002-05-09-1, a Resolution Authorizing the Transfer of Funds and the Declaration of an Emergency.  JT second.  All yea.

 

JoAnn announced that the Township picked up the recycling trailer.  She told them not to bring it back.  There had been some vandalism to the trailer, and people had been leaving trash.  JT said he’s had to run kids off every other night from Village property after the park was closed.

 

JoAnn announced that we got a letter from the County Health Department requesting money to fix up their building on Route 37 in Lancaster.  The general consensus of the council was that we didn’t want to give them any money.

 

JoAnn announced that there was a law just passed by the State that allows the Clerk/Treasurer position to remain an elected position, or it can be changed to an appointed position.  She wanted to know if Council wants to change it.  Aaron asked if there was a reason to do it.  No reason was expressed.  Aaron explained that Council could keep it the way it is unless the position became vacant, and then they could pass it as an emergency and a new Clerk/Treasurer could be appointed almost immediately.  Aaron, Lowell and Robert explained specifically how and why the law was designed.  Council decided to table the issue for now.

 

JoAnn brought up the issue of the Thurston High Heritage Association having liability insurance.  She said she called April at Accordia about it.  April said they didn’t have insurance through her, and that they would need to get their own insurance.  She told JoAnn that they must give a copy of their insurance papers to the Village.  Aaron had called and confirmed this information with April.  A discussion ensued.  It was agreed that Council wants the insurance representative to come to the next committee or Council meeting to discuss in person.

 

JoAnn said she called the New Lexington office of the Railroad.  Since they will be repaving Route 256, they said they will come and fix the tracks once the paving is done.

 

JoAnn announced that Parrott Electric put up a guardrail.

 

JoAnn announced that on May 3, we received the signs we ordered.

 

JoAnn said that somebody asked about having 2 Council meetings a month.  JoAnn doesn’t think there’s enough business for it.

JoAnn passed out Chief Mike Jackson’s Nextel phone bill. 

 

JT asked we were paying to do the mowing.  Lowell said he mowed out front.  JoAnn said it’s too wet.  JT said it should be done once a week.  Mary agreed.  Lowell & JoAnn said they will get to it.

 

Nona wanted to know when the tornado sirens have been sounded.  They are supposed to do it once a month, but it hasn’t been done.  JT said Josh Freisner should have set it off, but he knew a tornado wasn’t coming, so he didn’t set them off.  JT said that in the future, they hope to have the Sheriff’s office control the siren.  JoAnn said it should be done at the firehouse.

 

JoAnn asked JT if he heard anything about the Fire Department report that was requested by the Township.  JT said he doesn’t think it’s done.  Everyone wants to get a copy.

 

JT brought up the High Street repaving job.  He was under the impression that the entire width of the street was to be paved.  JoAnn said she got a lot of complaints about that.  JT said he’s heard some, too.  JoAnn said they complain about everything, but they need to come to Council meeting.  JT said he would not have voted for the paving project if he had known it was not the entire width.

 

Council discussed letter from Full Circle Services stating that there are $2000 in unclaimed funds available for the Village of Thurston.  Roger made a motion to enter into a collection agreement for the lost funds.  Warren second.  All yea.

 

Lowell said he’s got bids for paving Long Street.  Mary asked why Heimberger wasn’t given a chance to re-bid the High/Broad Street jobs.  The bid Council accepted for that project did not match what Lowell said to bid on.  She said they thought they should have been given a chance to bid on the job fairly.  The bid Council accepted didn’t meet Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) requirements.  Heimberger bid to ODOT standards, but wanted a chance to bid with less material.  Mary said they were just wondering why.  Lowell said he went with that bid because it was $4,000 cheaper.

 

Now there are two proposals with different criteria and different prices for the Long Street project.  Council agreed we needed to have bids based on the same base requirements.  JT suggested we have some expert tell us what is needed for Long Street, then send that criteria out for bid.

 

Council discussed the tentative agreement that was made with Owen Keller at the April 2002 Council meeting.  Lowell heard that Owen signed a contract with Spires Paving to pave his part of Long Street.  Council felt that this act would cancel the tentative agreement made with Mr. Keller last month.  The Village of Thurston was supposed to get bids for the entire length of Long Street, and Mr. Keller would pay the Village of Thurston a “deposit” for his portion of the street project.

 

JT called Mr. Keller during the meeting to verify this information.  Mr. Keller said he signed a contract with Spires Paving, but made it clear to them that the Village was doing the whole thing; so the contract could be cancelled.  Mr. Keller said that Spires told him they would raise the two manholes for nothing if they got the job.

 

Because Mr. Keller already signed a contract with Spires Paving, Council feels there are issues with our tentative agreement with Mr. Keller.  JT moved to rescind the tentative agreement made at April’s Council meeting regarding the acceptance of the extension of Long Street from Owen Keller.  Mary second.  Roll call vote:

            Robert – Yes

            Nona – Yes

            Mary – Yes

            Roger – Yes

            Warren – Yes

            JT – Yes

 

Council will now just get bids on the portion of Long Street that currently belongs to the Village.  Council discussed the requirements for that paving project.  No one is sure what the requirements are.  They agreed to put out a request for bids with criteria from the Heimberger Paving quote because that meets ODOT requirements.  Lowell will ask the current bidders to re-bid to those specifications.

 

JoAnn asked JT who has a white car.  JoAnn said it had red and blue lights on it.  JT will get with Rusty Hines to inform him of the lights.  JT said Rusty is a new member.

 

Aaron shared a couple of forms he found on the PEP website regarding safety information for the Fire Department.  Council agreed they would be good forms to use.  Aaron will make copies for Chief Mike Jackson and Council so they can be discussed at the next meeting.

 

Aaron announced that Mike King submitted a claim under the Village’s Workers Compensation plan.  The paperwork received from the BWC states that it will be paid.

 

Aaron asked about the Rules of Council sent by Solicitor Jeff Feyko.  Aaron will make copies and distribute to everyone for the next meeting.

 

JoAnn asked about Mike’s Nextel phone bill (which had been passed around the table).  She thinks he’s using it too much.  The general consensus of Council was that as long as he’s paying his share, it’s okay.

 

Lowell said the Water Service Contract with Walnut Creek Sewer District is up for renewal.  It’s been $837.10 per month for the last 2 years.  They want to continue for another 3 years at the same price.  Roger moved to accept the agreement at the same price for the next 3 years.  Nona second.  Warren – Nay.  Roger, Nona, JT, Mary, Robert – yea.

 

JT said he wants to have Sheriff Phalen come in and talk with us about servicing the Village.  Council said it was okay.

 

JoAnn said Walnut Township sent us a bill for $250.00 for cinder and snow removal for last winter.  She said she thought that was reasonable.

 

Since there was no other business to address, Nona made a motion to pay bills and adjourn.  Warren second.  All yea. 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

_______________________________

Aaron L. Reedy, Clerk